Description and Background
The BRAIN Initiative® is part of an ambitious, public-private collaborative effort aimed at developing new experimental tools that will revolutionize our understanding of the brain. In addition to fueling discovery, new tools and technologies in neuroscience allow scientists to capture the wonders and beauty of the brain. The BRAIN Initiative Show Us Your BRAINs! Photo & Video Contest aims to celebrate the art of brain science by showcasing the amazing photos and videos made possible (or inspired) by studying the mysteries of the brain.
Eligibility and Rules
Regardless of discipline, career stage, or funding source, we invite all those engaged in the BRAIN Initiative to submit an entry to the contest. Please follow the rules carefully. Submissions that do not follow the rules listed below will not be considered.
- Any individual or team is eligible to submit one photo and one video entry.
- At the time of submission, participants must be 18 years or older after March 31, 2021.
- Participants who won previous years' BRAIN Initiative Show Us Your BRAINs! Contests are not eligible to win this year but are welcome to submit entries.
- You do not need to participate in the 7th Annual BRAIN Initiative Investigators meeting to enter or win.
- Deadline for submissions is April 30, 2021 by 5:00 PM (EST)
- Photos and videos for final consideration will be chosen by May 14, 2021
- Finalists' submissions will be posted on IdeaScale and open for public voting May 17 - June 10, 2021
- Top three winners for each category (photo and video) will be announced during the 7th Annual BRAIN Initiative Investigators meeting on June 15-17, 2021
After the contest closes for submissions, the 2021 Program Committee for the 7th Annual BRAIN Initiative Investigators meeting will review anonymized submissions to narrow down the field to the top 12 photo and top 12 video entries they feel capture the creative spirit of the U.S. BRAIN Initiative.
Entries will be evaluated on:
- Relevance to the U.S. BRAIN Initiative and/or field of neuroscience
Following the committee review, photo and video finalists' submissions will be displayed and open for public voting on IdeaScale. All entries will be made anonymous – only the photos or videos will be accessible, and voters will be blind to contest participants' names, affiliations, and all other personal information.
The first, second, and third place winners (confirmed by NIH BRAIN Initiative Director Dr. John Ngai following public vote) will be announced during the 7th Annual BRAIN Initiative Investigators meeting on June 15 - 17, 2021.
Top three photo and video winners will receive a certificate recognizing their accomplishment, recognition during the 2021 BRAIN Initiative Investigators Meeting, and will have their submission posted on the NIH BRAIN Initiative website. Photo submissions will have a chance to be featured in next year's BRAIN Initiative calendar! Check out the 2021 calendar here.