If so, connectomes can add value not by their completeness, but by their presentation of motifs which can be categorized as one of a number of basis functions. In spite of the ongoing, global, development of connectomes, we incompletely understand these general and reductionist questions:
Exactly what... more »
The idea to explore is what is the minimum z-resolution needed to capture and distinguish small ultrastructure objects (e.g. gap junctions, microtubules, neurofilaments, vesicles, polyribosomes, extracellular space, spine apparatus substructure, astroglial end processes, etc.) without overlap between objects across z. We want to... more »
If more research was done, specifically on the link between epilepsy and late stage pregnancy, more OB/GYNs could be educated on the need to induce earlier to prevent epilespy.
This idea would assist the basic research community in transforming preclinical findings to clinical application.
Our understanding of the major genes associated with causal-mutations in the genetic epilepsies has vastly increased in the last two decades, there is still so much that is poorly understood about how genotypes correspond to phenotypic outcomes amongst patients with similar causal mutations. Researchers have begun to investigate the... more »
• Research the relationship between sleep and seizures
• Explore prevalence of different multi-dien seizure cycles. Explore how seizure cycles impact expression of comorbidities.
• Assess the true incidence of epilepsy mortality including SUDEP. – Develop better surveillance tools and methods so that risk factors... more »
• For new genes/pathways that have been figured out for monogenetic conditions, promote or support gene modifying solutions.
• Understand how dysfunctional networks allow propagation of seizures
• Explore how intervention in a network rather than on a seizure focus could eliminate seizures or improve... more »
• Grand Challenge idea: "Biomarkers for Prevention before Seizure Onset" – Following the example of TSC and vigabatrin, a grand challenge may be to identify the range of other epilepsies that can be accurately identified before seizures emerge, and develop targeted programs to develop biomarkers and preventive treatments. Examples could include individuals with higher... more »